Society Matron at Benenden Health, Cheryl Lythgoe, is an award-winning MSc-trained nurse consultant with over two decades of experience in A&E, general practice and the private sector.
“To improve sleep patterns, it’s important to review what and when we are eating,” said Lythgoe.
“If you have tried every sleep remedy under the sun and are tired… it could be because [you’re] eating the wrong foods.”
One of the worst foods to nibble on if you are experiencing sleep issues is chocolate – even dark chocolate.
There is a lot of sugar in milk and white chocolate, which can spike blood sugar levels, which can interrupt sleep.
And dark chocolate still contains cocoa and, often, caffeine, which is a known stimulant.
Another food worth cutting down on if you suffer from sleep problems is cheese.
Strong or aged cheese contains high levels of the amino acid tyramine, which helps to create alertness.
A possible contributor to poor sleep is crisps that are usually high in salt, which dehydrates the body and increases water retention.”
Three foods that could be keeping you awake at night
Those who crave a sweet treat, like milk chocolate, may do better to eat cherries instead.
Cherries are high in melatonin, which helps to promote sleepiness; another option is almonds.
High in magnesium, almonds help to regulate blood sugar levels so spikes aren’t keeping you awake.
How to sleep
Lythgoe said “a regular routine allows the body to recognise ‘bed time’ signals” that can help to promote a restful night.
Additional tips include not eating too late in the evening, monitoring portion sizes, and keeping away from sugar and caffeine before bed.
For anybody struggling with sleep problems for a while, they should seek the support of their doctor.
There can be numerous contributing factors to insomnia, which may not be about the foods you are eating.
Post source: Daily Express
- Bless This TV Series’ Beautiful, Bonkers Twists
- Fraudulent Forms Frenzy: Michigan Officials Seek FBI Help in 2020 Voter Registration Investigation | Wayne Dupree
- Keith Thompson Bio, Wiki, Age, Wife, WWMT-TV, and Net Worth
- Body Language Expert Notices Meghan Markle Become ‘Nervous’ When She Wasn’t Getting Prince Harry’s Full Attention and Had to ‘Take a Backseat’
- The Project stars poke fun at their own network after sharing footage of a woman snubbing a Channel 10 reporter ‘because they’re not from Channel Seven’