Sylvia Weatherspoon is an American anchor and health reporter who serves as a co-anchor of WBRZ News 2 at 5, 6, and 10 p.m.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Biography
Sylvia Weatherspoon is an American anchor and health reporter who serves as a co-anchor of WBRZ News 2 at 5, 6, and 10 p.m. She has worked with WBRZ for over two decades now.
Sylvia sits on several community boards which include the Sunrise Rotary Club of Baton Rouge, the Advisory Board of Junior League of Baton Rouge, and the Executive Board of Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, among others.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Age
Weatherspoon is 61 years old as of 2023. However, it is not yet known when she celebrates her birthday.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Height
Weatherspoon stands at an approximate height of 1.67m (5 feet 5 inches).
Sylvia Weatherspoon Family
Weatherspoon was born in the Mississippi Delta town of Clarksdale. She was later adopted by her
great-aunt Alene Sparks and great-uncle from Old South Baton Rouge where she moved to then. Her biological mother was unable to take care of her. Her great-aunt always wanted a baby girl but had gotten a stillborn child and as a result, she became a mother to Weatherspoon.
Weatherspoon’s adoptive mother was a housekeeper and an entrepreneur. She baked and sold pies and cakes and also provided child care sitting services. Weatherspoon grew up in Old South Baton Rouge on a street where most of the women were widows. As a result, many of them were her first examples of successful entrepreneurs.
She was raised believing education was a crucial step to future success despite her adoptive mother’s lack of formal schooling. Her mother was also a serious news junkie and died while Weatherspoon’s son was young.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Husband
Weatherspoon got married to her high school sweetheart Donald in 1986. The couple has two children together, a son Donald Jr. and a daughter Taylor.
Sylvia Weatherspoon’s Net Worth
Weatherspoon has an estimated salary ranging between $1 million and $5 million. She has amassed her wealth through her great career as a journalist.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Salary
Weatherspoon receives an annual salary ranging between $49,371 to $81,179 according to news anchors’ salaries in Baton Rouge.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Education
She attended McKinley High School and later enrolled at LSU where she pursued a degree in journalism.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Career
After College, Weatherspoon pursued a radio career doing news reports. She was picked by AM station WJBO, where she read news spots. However, the technical side of TV news excited her, and she spent her spare time in the newsroom of a local television station. She also served as a news director for WFMF-FM radio in Baton Rouge.
She grew interested in TV news as it challenged, her and allowed her to be creative. Weatherspoon later joined WAFB-TV where she delivered morning news cut-ins.
Sylvia Weatherspoon WBRZ
Weatherspoon joined the WBRZ family in December 1993. She works alongside other famous WBRZ anchors and reporters including;
- Jacelyn Wheat
- Taylor Rubach
- Marisa Nuzzo
- Dr. Josh Eachus
- Keller Watts
- Michael Shingleton
- Corey Rholdon
- Chris Nakamoto
- Matt Trent
- Lauren Hawkins
- Brittany Weiss
- Katie Easter
- Falon Brown
- Brandi B. Harris
- John Patorek
- Bess Casserleigh
Sylvia Weatherspoon Hobbies
Weatherspoon is a lover of gardening just like her adoptive mother. She enjoys spending most of her time with her family.
Sylvia Weatherspoon Awards
Throughout her journalism career, Sylvia has received numerous awards including;
- Excellence In Medical Journalism Award in Television Broadcasting when she reported on “Reduce Your Risk”, WBRZ’s series of health segments
- The Louisiana Associated Press awarded Sylvia second place for Best Spot News on her story of a house fire, “In Just Minutes”, and third place for “Miracle on the Mississippi”, a report covering an accident on the Mississippi River Bridge.
- She is also the recipient of the 2007 Women in Media Award of Excellence in Television
- The 2007 Laurie Smith Anderson Award for Excellence in Health Care Reporting from the Arthritis Association of Louisiana.
- The 2008 Louisiana Role Model Award from the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Inc.
- The 2008 NAACP Community Service Award
- The 2008 Best Local TV News Anchor in 225 Magazine
- Millionaire Gianluca Vacchi wiki, bio, net worth, height, wife, girlfriend, daughter.
- Rubio to outlaw migrants with CCP ties from receiving asylum in new bill
- NHS strikes see man’s life-changing op cancelled TWICE
- Who’s Carlos Vela’s ex-girlfriend, actress Altair Jarabo from “Por amar sin ley”? Wiki
- How police pointed finger at WRONG suspect over Jill Dando murder: Detective tells new documentary wrongly convicted Barry George ‘fit the category’ of ‘infatuated, obsessed, loner, psychopath’ cops thought was behind killing