A 34-year-old man was sentenced to 12 years in prison after he admitted to raping a 6-year-old girl, then gave the victim pocket change and told her not to tell her parents what he was up to. had done to him, prosecutors said. .
Jose Romero was sentenced following a guilty plea in April on a first-degree rape charge, the Suffolk County prosecutor said in a news release. His sentence will be followed by 10 years of post-release supervision and he will have to register as a sex offender, officials said.
“Because of the bravery of this child, the defendant will go to jail where he cannot harm other children,” District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement. “Speaking out against an abuser, especially at such a young age, is a difficult task. However, it is a step that we encourage everyone who is victimized in Suffolk County to take so that we can keep our most vulnerable residents safe.
Despite Romero’s attempt to cover up his crime, the child immediately disclosed the abuse to his parents, who contacted police, prosecutors said.
The child was taken to the hospital where an exam would find DNA evidence linking Romero to the crime, authorities said.
Romero’s attorney, Chris Brocato, said in a statement to Law&Crime that his client felt “remorse toward the victim of his actions.”
“He was sexually abused as a child, and unfortunately the cycle of abuse continued,” Brocato said.
Got a tip we should know? [email protected]
- Terrifying moment the plane door opens in the air as the traveler grabs the emergency exit lever
- B2K Singer Raz B Shown In Disturbing Hospital Rooftop Video
- Ivory Hecker Bio, Age, Height, Family, Husband, Ivory Media LLC
- Ted Lasso season 3 episode 12 release date: when is it coming out?
- Trump leads GOP primary polls in early 2024, while voters have mixed feelings for Biden | Quinnipiac | wayne dupree