An American news anchor, John Berman became popular after working for the morning edition of CNN News Central as a co-anchor. He has also hosted the show with Anderson Cooper 360° for the morning edition.
He also hosted the show, New Day along with Brianna Keilar. From 2012 to 2017, he worked for CNN Early Start as a co-anchor and was assigned to CNN Newsroom co-anchor from 2017 to 2018. John worked as an anchor for shows like ABC News, ABC World News Tonight, and CNN New Day.
Early Life of John Berman
John Berman was born on March 21, 1972, in Carlisle, Massachusetts, USA. As of now, Berman is 51 years old and cut his birthday cake on the 21st of March. Jane Lewis (mother) and Gerry Berman (father) is his parent’s name. He spent his early life with two brothers and a sister named, Mindy Berman.
John’s paternal grandparents are Edmund Albert and Berman Grace Rebecca Spinoza while his maternal grandparents were Irving Flax and Cyrille Romanow. Berman holds American citizenship and is of mixed (Ashkenazi Jewish and Sephardi Jewish) ethnicity. Berman follows the Jewish religion.
Education of John Berman
He joined Phillips Academy Andover. After leaving the academy in 1990, he attended Harvard University and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in social studies.
John Berman’s Wife; Blessed With Two Sons
His wife is Kerry Voss who is an American TV personality. In mid-1990, they met each other at Harvard University and started dating each other. At that time, Kerry was working for the Hasty Pubbing Club while Berman was acting for Hasty Pudding Theatricals. So, Bremann sometime jokes that he met his now wife at the club’s drag show.
Then, they exchanged wedding vows on July 20, 2001. He also posted a picture of his wedding ring on his Instagram on the occasion of their anniversary in July 2018. He and Kerry are parents of two sons. They gave birth to twins named Teddy Berman and Joseph Berman in 2007.
John Berman’s Net Worth
As of 2023, John has a net worth of $5 million which he earned throughout his news anchor and screenwriter career. His annual salary is $590k.
John and Kerry are living in their house which they bought for $975k. As an anchor on CNN, John earns an annual salary of $2 million and receives $166,667 each month.
John Berman is leaving CNN
He is leaving CNN with Brianna Keilar. He announced that he will be leaving the show, New Day on September 15, 2022. John will work as a new anchor role at CNN News Central with anchors like Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner. He left the show, New Day to join News Central on April 3, 2023. In an interview, he said:
“It was an incredible personal experience, absolutely terrifying, risky and physically grueling. As a reporter, you always want to be covering the biggest stories, despite the risks”.
The boss of CNN Chris Licht revealed the morning show with a note to staff:
“Morning shows represent valuable airtime, particularly for the top broadcast networks, in large part because of the lucrative advertising real estate they offer. This is not an incremental change. Our morning news program will debut with a new name, new set, and a totally new format. The show will lean into the strength of CNN’s global brand, and I am confident America will soon see how genuine the chemistry is among these three remarkable anchors.”
John Berman suffered from a Heatstroke
John was anchoring Boston Marathon when he ended up in hospital on April 18, 2022. He suffered heatstroke and ended up collapsing because of rhabdomyolysis. After spending three days in the hospital he said:
“The next thing I remember is waking up in an emergency room with maybe twelve or fifteen people around me doing all kinds of things to me. Not being in control of my head was terrifying. I could not put many thoughts together, but I could put enough together to know I was messed up. And I knew that my brain was crucial to what I do because clearly, I am not going to get by with my athletic ability.”
Professional Career of John Berman
- John began working as a junior office post at ABC News.
- He earned the position of Chief Writer while working for Peter Jennings of ABC World News Tonight.
- John worked for the White House after the inauguration of President George W. Bush.
- Then, he moved to New York and reported the destroyed towers of the World Trade Center in the September 11 attacks as a general assignment reporter.
- He was also associated with the war in al-Nasiriyah with a Marine infantry battalion as an on-air correspondent.
- He worked for the new CNN revamped morning show since September 15, 2022.
- He worked as a co-anchor with Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner for CNN News Central on April 3, 2023.
- John landed in the show, Jeopardy! and defeated the celebs like Mo Rocca and Wendi McLendon-Covey on May 13, 2015.
Movies & TV Shows
John played in movies like Roots: Our Journeys Home and Suicide Pro. John is known for the tv shows like Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, Early Start, and New Day.
Awards & Honors
- In 2004, he won Edward R. Murrow Award in the nomination for Best Broadcast.
- He received the James Beard Award in the category of the Television Segment in 2010.
- He won News Emmy awards for Exciting Live Coverage in 2013.
- In 2016, he won a Documentary Emmy award in the nomination for Exciting Live Coverage.
- He received the title the James Beard Grant in 2010.
FAQs of John Berman
What is John Berman’s Height?
Berman’s height is 5 feet 8 inches and weighs 70kg. He has beautiful dark brown color hair and light brown colored eyes.
Why is John Berman filling in for Anderson Cooper?
John is filling in the place of Anderson Cooper because Cooper is on leave for appendicitis surgery. He will host CNN Newsman instead of him until his recovery.
Is John Berman a Philanthropist?
Yes, John is a philanthropist. He appeared in the show, celebrity Jeopardy! He won $50,000 by defeating Mo Rocca and Wendi McLendon-Covey and donated all the prize money to the children’s charity Friends of Karen.
Did John Berman and Brianna Keilar work together?
Yes, John and Brianna Keilar worked together. They used to host the show, New Day until the show was renamed with a new name.
Is John Berman married to Alisyn Camerota?
No, John is not married to Alisyn Camerota. Both of them are news broadcaster and has hosted the show on CNN together. Due to their amazing chemistry onscreen, they are often misunderstood as a married couple. John also jokingly posted on his Facebook about her appearance in the 4:45 am show saying:
“1) where exactly are you going? Will you store your luggage in the overhead bin during the show? 2) how does Depeche Mode sound before 5am? 3) that’s not actually coffee…is it.”
- Bless This TV Series’ Beautiful, Bonkers Twists
- Fraudulent Forms Frenzy: Michigan Officials Seek FBI Help in 2020 Voter Registration Investigation | Wayne Dupree
- Keith Thompson Bio, Wiki, Age, Wife, WWMT-TV, and Net Worth
- Body Language Expert Notices Meghan Markle Become ‘Nervous’ When She Wasn’t Getting Prince Harry’s Full Attention and Had to ‘Take a Backseat’
- The Project stars poke fun at their own network after sharing footage of a woman snubbing a Channel 10 reporter ‘because they’re not from Channel Seven’