Gary Lineker is a former professional footballer and current sports broadcaster who is considered to have been one of England’s greatest strikers. He started his football career at Leicester City in 1978 and finished joint-top scorer in the First Division in 1984–85. He holds the England record for goals in the fifa world cup finals, with 10 scored. He made his England debut in 1984, earning 80 caps and scoring 48 goals during an eight-year international career, and is England’s third-highest goalscorer. He was one of the top scorers in the 1986 World Cup and was also awarded the Golden Boot.
After retiring from football, he was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame. His media career began with the BBCwhere he has presented the flagship football show Match of the Day since the late 1990s. Additionally, he has also worked for Al Jazeera Sports, Eredivisie Live, NBC Sports Network and BT Sport’s coverage of UEFA Champions League.
What is Gary Lineker famous for?
- Gary Lineker is a former professional footballer and sportscaster.
- Gary was known for his clinical finishing abilities as a power forward for England at international level and teams like Leicester City, Everton, Barcelona and Tottenham Hotspur at club level.
When was Gary Lineker born?
Gary Lineker was born on November 30, 1960. He is from Leicester, England, and has British nationality. His ethnicity is British-White. His full name is Gary Winston Lineker. His middle name comes from Winston Churchill, with whom he shares his birthday. As for his parents, he is the son of Margaret P. (Abbs) (mother and Barry Lineker (father). He grew up with his brother, a brother, Wayne, who is two years younger than him. He spent his youth playing football with his brother. He celebrated his 62nd birthday in 2022. According to his birth date on November 30, Gary’s zodiac sign is Scorpio. He is a follower of the Christian religion.
All about Wayne Lineker
About his upbringing, Gary attended Caldecote Road School. Then he went to Leicester City Boys’ High School (now the City of Leicester College). He left school with four O levels. One of his teachers wrote on his report card that he “focused too much on football” and would “never make a living out of it”.
Gary Lineker career timeline
- Gary Lineker began his career with his hometown club Leicester City in 1977. He turned professional in the 1978–79 season where he made his senior debut on New Years Day 1979 in a win 2-0 against Oldham Athletic in the Second Division at Filbert Street. . He won a Second Division title medal a year later with 19 appearances.
- Lineker then became a regular in 1981–82, scoring 19 goals in all competitions that season. He was the division’s second top scorer with 22 goals in the 1983–84 season. He was joint-top scorer in the First Division in 1984-85 with 24 goals.
- In 1985, Everton signed him for £800,000. He scored 40 goals in 57 games for his new team in the 1985–86 season.
- He scored three hat-tricks for Everton; at home to Birmingham City in a 4-1 league win on 31 August 1985. He won the Golden Boot at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.
- Barcelona then signed Lineker for £2.8million. He made his Barcelona debut against Racing Santander, scoring twice. Barcelona won the Copa del Rey in 1988 and the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1989. He featured in Barcelona’s upset home and away defeats to Dundee United.
- With 42 goals in 103 La Liga appearances, he became the most successful British player in the competition’s history but was then overtaken by Gareth Bale in March 2016.
- Then he signed for Tottenham Hotspur in July 1989 for £1.1million. He scored 67 goals in 105 league games over his three seasons and he also won the FA Cup while playing for the club.
- He finished top scorer in the First Division in the 1989–90 season, scoring 24 goals as Spurs finished third. He lifted an English trophy when he won the 1991 FA Cup Final with Spurs against Nottingham Forest 2-1.
- He was the second top scorer in the First Division in 1991-92 with 28 goals in 35 games.
Nagoya Grampus Eight
- Gary then accepted a two-year contract offer from J1 League club Nagoya Grampus Eight in November 1991. He announced his retirement from playing in September 1994 after scoring 9 goals in 23 appearances in two seasons plagued by injuries for Nagoya Grampus Eight. Additionally, Gary scored four goals to help England reach the semi-finals after a string of draws and narrow wins at the 1990 World Cup.
- He retired from international football with eighty caps and forty-eight goals.
- After his retirement, Gary developed a media career on BBC Radio 5 Live. After that he became the BBC’s presenter for football coverage, including their flagship football television program Match of the Day, and as team captain on the 1995 sports game show They Think It’s All Over. in 2003. He also presented Grandstand at the London studio.
- After that he appeared in the 1991 play An Evening with Gary Lineker by Arthur Smith and Chris England. Additionally, he presented a six-episode television series for the BBC in 1998 called Golden Boots.
- He appeared in the TV show Brass Eye in 2001. He also made an appearance in the film Bend It Like Beckham in 2002. He was sued for defamation by Australian footballer Harry Kewell in 2005.
- He had had his column written in The Sunday Telegraph. He then took on the acting role as the voice of Underground Ernie in 2006.
- He appeared on the ITV1 TV show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? in December 2008. He resigned as a columnist for The Mail on Sunday in May 2010.
- He started working for NBCSN as part of their Premier League coverage and contributing to the US version of Match of the Day in 2013. He was unveiled as the main presenter of the Champions League coverage of BT Sport on June 9, 2015.
- He presented the first match of the day of the 2016-2017 season in underwear only on August 13, 2016.
- In July 2018, he announced his support for People’s Vote, a campaign group calling for a public vote on the final Brexit deal between the UK and the European Union. He has appeared in a number of adverts for Walkers, a Leicester-based snack company.
- On October 18, 2016, he tweeted a rebuttal to a statement by David Davies MP in which Davies suggested that refugees entering the UK should undergo dental checks to verify their age: “The treatment of some of these young refugees is horribly racist and totally heartless. happening in our country?” This led The Sun to call for Lineker’s sacking from Match of the Day, claiming he had breached BBC impartiality guidelines.
- Lineker is a freelance presenter whose BBC appearances do not involve politics, so in 2018 he was exempted from the company’s rules regarding impartiality on social media. In 2022, a complaint about a tweet by Lineker referring to donations to the Conservative Party was upheld by the BBC, on the grounds that it breached social media guidelines and failed to meet editorial standards for impartiality.
- Gary set up his own production company Goalhanger Films Ltd in May 2014 with former ITV Controller Tony Pastor. He featured several short videos produced by Goalhanger Films on YouTube with the title Blahzil during the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- The company produced a 60-minute documentary presented by Lineker titled Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory for the BBC in May 2015.
Awards and Achievements
- Football League Second Division: 1979–80
- European Cup Winners’ Cup: 1988–89
- King’s Cup: 1987–88
- FA Cup: 1990–91
- FA Charity Shield: 1991 (shared)
- Fourth in the FIFA World Cup: 1990
- English Second Division top scorer: 1982–83
- English First Division top scorer: 1984–85, 1985–86, 1989–90
- PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 1985–86
- FWA Footballer of the Year: 1985–86, 1991–92
- FIFA World Cup Golden Boot: 1986
- FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1986
- Bronze Eleven: 1986
- Ballon d’Or runner-up: 1986
- FIFA Fair Play Award: 1990
- FWA Tribute Award: 1997
- FIFA World Player of the Year Bronze Medal: 1991
- English Football Hall of Fame: 2003
- PFA Team of the Century (1977–1996): 2007
How rich is Gary Lineker?
Gary Lineker is a football player and sports broadcaster with an estimated net worth of $35 million as of 2023. His main source of wealth comes from a career in broadcasting and he currently leads a lavish life. He managed to make his fortune through his football career as well as his media career. He earns an annual salary of around $2 million from his professional career. His personal possessions include a luxurious house and a top quality car. At the moment, he leads a sumptuous and luxurious life.
Who is Gary Lineker’s wife?
Gary Lineker is a married and divorced man. Gary is currently single and not dating anyone at the moment. He happily lives and enjoys his single life without any disturbance. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
First, Gary got married michelle cocayne in 1986. Their marriage produced four sons, George, Harry, Tobias and Angus. In the early 1990s, her eldest son George survived a rare form of leukemia as an infant, being treated at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. In May 2006, Michelle filed for divorce due to Gary’s alleged “unreasonable behavior”, with court filings claiming Lineker’s actions in their marriage had caused her “stress and anxiety”. After his divorce from Michelle, he married his second wife, Danielle Bux (model and actress) on September 2, 2009, in Ravello, Italy. They dated for almost a year after reuniting in September 2007. The couple divorced in 2016. The reason was that Gary didn’t want any more kids.
How tall is Gary Lineker?
62-year-old Gary Lineker still looks handsome with an athletic body type. He has a height of 5 feet 9 inches with a balanced and well maintained body weight which consists of 74 kg. He has a beaming face with a charming smile on his face which helped him grab the attention of all the viewers. Her hair color is gray and her eye color is dark brown. Her hair type is straight while her hair length is short. He has an affable smile with a trimmed beard and mustache. Overall, he has a healthy body.
- Mitch Blacher ABC7, NBC10, Bio, Age, Wife, Family, Height, Salary
- I don’t like the way Olamide and Asake top the leaderboard – Odumodublvck
- Aritzia doesn’t have private mirrors in its dressing rooms, and a lot of people don’t like it
- Rosemary Connors NBC, Bio, Age, Twin Brother, Husband, Baby
- John Farley Bio, Wiki, Age, Family, WOLO-TV, Wife, Salary, and Net Worth