An avalanche swept across both lanes of US 40 over Burgdorf Pass on Tuesday, blanketing parts of the road in eight feet of snow.
Colorado State Patrol Private Gabriel Moltrer said the first call about the avalanche came in at 1:33 p.m.
Officials said the avalanche was about eight feet deep and 100 meters long. It broke shortly after the second switchback going up Col Berthoud from Winter Park.
The Grand County Sheriff’s Office said a vehicle may be stuck in the snow, but that has yet to be confirmed.
Denver 7+ Colorado News Latest Headlines | April 11, 11 a.m.
The pass is now closed between Henderson Mine Road south to the Winter Park area.
The Colorado Department of Transportation said “due to the size of the slide and the amount of snow, this will likely be a long-term closure.”
CDOT recommends taking US 40 west to Highway 9, then south to I-70 as an alternative.
What do you want Denver7 to track? Is there a story, topic, or issue you’d like us to revisit? Let us know with the contact form below.
- Mitch Blacher ABC7, NBC10, Bio, Age, Wife, Family, Height, Salary
- I don’t like the way Olamide and Asake top the leaderboard – Odumodublvck
- Aritzia doesn’t have private mirrors in its dressing rooms, and a lot of people don’t like it
- Rosemary Connors NBC, Bio, Age, Twin Brother, Husband, Baby
- John Farley Bio, Wiki, Age, Family, WOLO-TV, Wife, Salary, and Net Worth